MEMSPA, Learning Forward Michigan, and Michigan ASCD are pleased to present “Having Hard Conversations”. Based on Jennifer Abrams’ book, Having Hard Conversations, and her work with conflict and interpersonal communication, this workshop will provide participants with action plans and scripting tools for having those necessary, hard conversations.
Date: June 17, 2021
Time: 8:30AM – 3:00PM
Where: Gratiot-Isabella RESD, Ithaca
Cost: $199 for members, $225 non members
Book and lunch are included. SCECHs pending.
As administrators, coaches or colleagues, we often come up against situations where difficult topics must be addressed. What do we know about the best strategies for those moments? What questions should we be asking ourselves before we speak, and what environments are best for when we do speak? Based on Jennifer’s book, Having Hard Conversations, and her work with conflict and interpersonal communication, this session will provide participants with action plans and scripting tools for having those necessary hard conversations.
Participants will learn how to:
- Identify why they hesitate having hard conversations
- Choose questions to ask themselves before they choose to speak up
- Articulate in professional language the challenges they are facing
- Determine the goals of the conversation and write an action plan of support
- Script the conversation avoiding trigger words that put others on the defensive
- Choose the best ‘wheres’ and ‘whens’ for a productive discussion
Facilitator & Author Jennifer Abrams
Formerly a high school English teacher and a new teacher coach in Palo Alto Unified School District (Palo Alto, CA), Jennifer Abrams is currently a communications consultant and author who works with educators and others on new teacher and employee support, being generationally savvy, effective collaboration skills, having hard conversations, and creating identity safe workplaces.