Helping Students Develop Essential Skills for the Classroom & Beyond
A Blended Learning Symposium with Authors Nancy Frey, Douglas Fisher & Dominique Smith
This blended-learning symposium will use real-life examples to highlight the many opportunities for social and emotional learning within the K-12 academic curriculum. In this unique environment, participants will have the chance to interact with the authors directly via a live stream, while processing their learning in small groups with professional facilitators at several locations across our state.
While social and emotional learning (SEL) is most familiar as compartmentalized programs separate from academics, the truth is, all learning is social and emotional. What teachers say, the values we express, the materials and activities we choose, and the skills we prioritize all influence how students think, see themselves, and interact with content and with others.
If you teach kids rather than standards, and if you want all kids to get what they need to thrive, Nancy Frey, Douglas Fisher, and Dominique Smith offer a solution: a comprehensive, five-part model of SEL that’s easy to integrate into everyday content instruction, no matter what subject or grade level you teach. You’ll learn the hows and whys of
- Building students’ sense of identity and confidence in their ability to learn, overcome challenge, and influence the world around them.
- Helping students identify, describe, and regulate their emotional responses.
- Promoting the cognitive regulation skills critical to decision making and problem solving.
- Fostering students’ social skills, including teamwork and sharing, and their ability to establish and repair relationships.
- Equipping students to becoming informed and involved citizens
When: March 10, 2020 | 9:00AM – 3:00PM
Registration closes on February 28, 2020
Cost: $165 a person | Teams of three or more have a reduced rate of $145/each
This cost includes a copy of All Learning is Social and Emotional: Helping Students Develop Essential Skills for the Classroom & Beyond, a 1 year membership to Michigan ASCD, and a light lunch
More locations to be announced shortly!
Click on an individual location below to view it on the map. To view a map of all locations to see which is closest to you, click here.